瑞穂町図書館/温故知新 ― 瑞穂町を旅する地域資料

瑞穂の地名

旧石畑村の地名  Place Names of the Old Ishihata Village

一、石畑(いしはた)  1. Ishihata (stone field)

 現在はイシハ夕と発音する者が多いが、戦前はイシバタケと発音する者が大部分であった。古文書にも石畑ケ村、石畠村と記してあるのを見かけることがある。 While the characters, 石畑, used to name the place were generally pronounced as 'Ishibatake' before the war, the majority today say 'Ishihata'. In old documents, two types of character combinations for 'Ishi-hatake-mura' can be seen: '石畑ケ村' with the character of 'burnt field' and '石畠村' with the character of 'dried white field'.
 石畑と記されている最古の公文書は寛文八年の検地帳であるが、これは、村山郷として一括して検地した関係で、村名としてではなく、一小字(いちこあざ)の名称として登場しているにすぎない。The oldest of the official documents which mentioned the name 'Ishihata', was the Kenchi-cho of the Kanbun 8 (1668), but the name appears, not as a village, but only as a single 'Ko-aza' (a small subsection of a village) because the land survey of the area was collectively registered as a Murayana-go (or Murayama district).
 翌九年の検地では、箱根ケ崎村、殿ケ谷村(とのがやむら)と共に一村の名称として記されている。これらの関係から石畑とは、もともとは石畑村の上(かみ)の地域の呼称であったが、後になって、丸ケ谷戸、坊ケ谷戸、砂を含む広範囲の地域の呼称となったものと思われる。 In the following year, in Kanbun 9 (1669), the survey recorded the name as an individual village along with Hakonegasaki Village and Tonogaya Village. From these relationships, it is thought that name of Ishihata originally indicated the kami (upper) area of Ishihata Village, but later became the name of the wider area including Maru-ga-yato, Bo-ga-yato and Suna.
 石畑、丘陵の麓に帯状に広がった集落であり、北風を除け飲み水が得やすく、又山の幸を得るにも便利な所であった。原始時代の人々が六道山(ろくどうやま)やその谷津(やつ)に住んだことは出土品等で明らかであり、下って女窪(おなくぼ)から徳治(鎌倉時代)の年号のある板碑が発見される等早くから人々が住みついていたことがわかる。 Ishihata was a settlement that had spread in a strip at the foot of the hill, and the place was protected from the north wind, making it easier to obtain drinking water, and also convenient to obtain produce from the mountain. It is evident from the excavated artifacts, etc., that the people in primitive times had settled in Rokudo-yama (Mt. Rokudo) and its 'Yatsu' (the same as "Yato", or valley). It is also clear from the Itabi, discovered much later in Ona-kubo, with the script of the Tokuji period (1306-1308, in the Kamakura period), that people lived in this area from early times.
 住民がふえてくると、今迄他の集落との往来に使ったり、自分の畑に行く為に利用した小道に添って住いがつくられるようになり、石畑の集落に奥行きができるようになった。しかし、明治以前は青梅街道の南には家が殆んどなく、北側でも、田や畑になっていたところもあったということである。With increasing population, dwellings were built along the paths used to visit other settlements or to go to locally-owned fields, and thus the Ishihata settlement expanded from a thin strip to a broader area. However, before the Meiji era, there were almost no houses on the south of Ome Kaido, and even on the north side there were also rice paddies and crop fields.